Thursday, May 21, 2009

About my dogs, Mellow first


Mellow is just over four years old, a Siberian Husky/something mix, probably Australian Shephard. He's a dark copper with dark green eyes. He was bought at a pet store, only five weeks old!, by a couple who decided when he was three months that they no longer wanted him. When asked if I would take Mellow I at first said no, he was everything I didn't want, a puppy, male, big, but decided in the end oh OK, we'll give it a try. Huskies!!!!! I had no experience with them, had no idea what I was in for, the energy! the stubborness! we had some really rocky moments that first year and I made a lot of mistakes. In spite of me he's now a wonderful dog, mostly obedient, that Husky streak doesn't allow for perfect obedience after all, he's devoted, and unbelieveably smart. Very alert and watchful, he misses nothing, anticipates what I'm going to do and what I'm going to want him to do and is rarely wrong. He always knows when I'm sad and is cuddly, and when I'm silly he's silly, quiet - he lays quietly by my side. I can take him anywhere, and other than an occasional attempt at marking, he's almost always perfectly behaved. Loves people, at the dog park after an initial sprint around the park, he spends most of his time greeting all the other owners and begging for pets.

No comments:

Post a Comment